How do you regain a week of your life?

Thank you for being patient with me last week.

I was no where near the bombing. We never go into the city on Marathon Day because traffic and the T are bananas, and I’d rather not be “that woman with a stroller” in the crowd. Crowds make me frustrated–people are always either walking too slow or in groups that block the whole street….they just make me tense. So anyway, we weren’t down there. I don’t have a whole lot of friends in the city, but some of them were downtown on Monday and they are all accounted for. I do not live in Watertown, so lockdown day wasn’t as acutely intense for me as it was for them. Indeed, in the greater context of specific event of the Bombings and Manhunt, my life was relatively easy.

And yet life was intense last week. Especially because my husband left town for business on Monday evening. So I had to face all of the anxiety I was feeling alone, with two toddlers in tow. Ursa Major, sensing that things were amiss, chose every moment that he could to push boundaries. Ursa Minor, sensing tension, needed to be held and coddled all the live-long day. And, since the weather wasn’t exactly perfect, we didn’t get a lot of time outside. We didn’t have playgroup, our playdates for the week were cancelled, and I didn’t want to be downtown so we didn’t go to the Children’s Museum or Aquarium or anything. I took the boys to the zoo (which cost me 24 smackers to get into! Ridiculous!) and it was awful. Just awful. I didn’t know how good I had it when I was able to go to the National Zoo whenever I wanted for free. The Zoo here in suburban Boston sucked.

So when The Husband got in on Thursday night (which was really Friday morning 1am), I was dead dog tired. And when I woke up to the news Friday morning, it was like, fine. I surrender. The Husband is home, I have enough groceries to last a few days, let’s just settle in. It was a relief to see the satisfied faces of everyone when Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was captured.

And, as I’ll remind you, I had to clean up myself and this apartment and get pleasant by Saturday afternoon because absolutely nothing was going to stop my in-laws from being here over the weekend. You’d think that those two would have even an ounce of consideration, but no, they were like “Of course we’re still coming). Losers.

The good news is that they were actually ok. I’m not going to say that they were a joy to host, because they’re not, but they were less of a burden than they usually are. Mother-in-Law came with a jar of hot Ethiopian spices that she says she wouldn’t use, so I graciously accepted. Father-in-law came with his usual asinine comments and bad jokes. Brother and Sister-in-law were also pleasant to have. They’re on their best behavior because we’re their backup if the new baby comes a little early.

This week is another long one. While we didn’t have playgroup today, I’m supposed to take the boys to Harvard tomorrow (but it’s going to be rainy and cold here, so I don’t know how likely that is to happen). The husband has another crazy busy week ahead of him, so I’m pretty much flying solo again. it is going to be a really hard week.

and the house…ohhh the house. We still haven’t heard from the bank, and we learned that the seller isn’t going to do the septic tank inspection. So our short sale attorney is urging us to do all of the inspections as soon as possible. But we don’t want to sink $1000 into inspections and then find out that this deal isn’t going through. So we are pretty much in the same place that we were when we started all of this. A binder full of dreams and not much more.

So I’m sitting here on my couch just grateful to have made it through the last 7 days, literally and figuratively. I understand that there are three people from this area who cannot say as much, and so many more people who have lives that are irrevocably changed. And that’s just Boston. I feel  especially  bad for the people of West, Texas, who were pretty much forgotten last week. They need so much more than we do. I hope that they start getting the attention that they deserve.   I am so overwhelmed by all of the things that I didn’t do last week that I now must do this week. I know that I’ll get it done, but these have been 7 days lost. 7 whole days.

So I’m bad, and I’m on my regular schedule. I wish that I had some ridiculous story to share about my in-laws, but I really don’t. I mean, they bought a really annoying toy for Ursa Minor’s birthday, but that is so small in the face of what they usually do that I can’t dedicate a post to it! They’ll be back in a few weeks, so I’m sure they’ll screw up again before too long.

I think that, after I’m done writing these blog posts and a few emails and doing a little bit of reading, I’m going to get on my knees and say a prayer. First, of thanks, because there is always so much to be thankful for. Then, for help, because there is just so much that needs to be done.

Thank you, again, for your love from far corners. I really did feel it. I’m so very grateful. I’m back to normal now–no more skipping, no more excuses.

3 Comments Add yours

  1. So glad all those you know and love were accounted for. I can only imagine how last week was for all of those living anywhere close to the Boston area. Some weeks just suck. I hope this one is better for you!

    1. K.C. Wise says:

      Thank you, thank you, thank you for your warm thoughts and support. We totally felt it here. We’re getting back in the grove here, collectively and individually.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.